Author: Nat Smith
Doggy DIY: Quick and Easy Tutorials for Dog Owners
Dog lovers agree: There’s no better way to pamper your pup than with homemade goodness. Whether it’s nutritious treats, a chew toy, or a cozy spot to cuddle, you can craft memorable moments by infusing these recipes with love.
Dedicated owners can leave behind something special for their pet to remember them by, and pet-sitters can make a stay extra-special via DIY! Don’t forget to click over to Rover.com anytime you’re looking for a dog-sitter—they have a lot of love to share, just like you.
Skip the additives and expense of store-bought goodies and try this simple recipe:
- Add 1 Tsp flaxseed to 1/2 cup doggy-safe peanut butter (unsalted, with no xylitol added).
- Then, mix in 1/2 cup shredded carrots.
- Roll into tablespoon-sized balls and chill on a wax-paper lined sheet in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Yields 12-14 delicious, healthy treats!
In addition to protein and healthy fat from the peanut butter, flaxseed promotes a silky coat and crunching carrots is good for your dog’s teeth.
Multi-purpose Denim Toy
Got an old pair of jeans you were going to toss? Try this instead.
- Lay the jeans out flat. Make two marks along each ankle, dividing each leg into 3 even sections.
- Cut through both layers of fabric from ankle to waistband, leaving the waistband intact. You’ll have 3 double-layered strips on each leg.
- Braid each set of strips from top to bottom, keeping the layers together.
- Loop one braided leg through the belt loops on the waistband.
- Wrap the other braided leg around your circular dog toy several times, then knot it to itself to create a handle.
Now you’ve got a fun, durable toy to toss, play tug-of-war, or let your dog chew in her downtime!
It can be difficult to find both durability and comfort in a dog bed. This one fits the bill! You’ll need outdoor furniture fabric and a foam mattress topper.
- Cut each to the appropriate size to fit your dog (and you, if you’ll be joining him often!).
- Sew 3 sides of the fabric together. Place the foam pad inside.
- You can either use a zipper on the fourth side or seal the remaining length with a whipstitch.
There you go—a cozy spot for naps and snuggles, or a nighttime haven! It’s a perfect place for your dog to cozy up with his new treat and toy.